Maybeck High School: 80% English/Social Studies Teacher
Maybeck High School, a small, independent, teacher-run, college-preparatory high school in Berkeley, seeks an 80% English and Social Studies teacher for the 2019-2020 school year. The position will teach three English and/or Social Studies courses to students in 9th-12th grade. We especially seek applicants who can teach authors, regions, or topics that have been traditionally underrepresented or marginalized.
The ideal candidate will have genuine excitement about teaching, a strong commitment to equity, desire to work closely with students of diverse backgrounds, a bachelor’s degree, and relevant teaching experience. Advanced degrees are preferred, as is the ability to teach across a variety of subject areas. A teaching credential is not required for this position.
Responsibilities of Maybeck employees include:
· Work with another staff member to design & run a 10-day intersession course in April; some programs are local and during school hours; others travel regionally and internationally.
· Attend our all-school camping trips: a four night cabin camping trip in August and a two or three night tent camping trip in May.
· Participate in a teacher-led school, including staff meetings, committees, and school events.
Maybeck’s Mission: We are a vibrant community dedicated to learning, where all forms of diversity can flourish amid mutual support, respect, and responsibility. Through our small classes, high expectations, academic excellence, and programs outside the school, students prepare for college and acquire the tools to engage actively and creatively in the wider world.
To apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org with “English and Social Studies Teacher” in the subject line. Please include:
· Your resume, including contact information for 3 recent references
· A cover letter explaining your fit for Maybeck
· Optional: A lesson plan, or other materials indicative of your educational philosophy